Thursday, August 21, 2008

Going Crazy

I am pulling my hair out trying to potty train Tyler. He is showing all the signs, telling me when he is wet/poopy, staying dry during naps - sometimes even overnight, interested in the potty, etc., but for the life of me I cannot get him to go in the potty. He has done it a handful of times but there is no consistancy. He wasn't a fan of sitting on the big potty on his own seat so I sucked it up and bought him his own even though I will have to clean it. We have tried running the water, having daddy pee with him, all sorts of things but he just sits there and giggles. I can have him sit for 20 minutes with nothing and then stick him in the bath and immediately he pees! I was seeing what others say on the subject and Dr. Dobson said that most children are not completely potty trained until age 5 and some older than that at night, and most children are not even ready to train until about age 3!! What?!? I do not want him in diapers that long! My goal was to have him trained before 2. I KNOW he will be before 3, now just wish us luck to get it done before 2. Anybody have any ideas I can try let me know!

7 comments:

christinaandbrian said...

i have no suggestions but when you figure it out will you let me know? and i agree 5 seems a little old and expensive..diapers and all.

The Guy and Tiny Asian said...

maybe you should spank him? Im sure Jenn will spank Emma.

vanbergen said...

I've heard that for boys you can put Cherrios or FruitLoops in the toilet and make it a game to see if he can sink them by peeing on them. That's pretty much the extent of my potty training knowledge :)

kate said...

Yeah, you should definitely spank him.
I don't know, you saw our whole saga with Braydon. I guess just give him a little longer??

peteandjenn said...

Yeah, I've already started spanking Em. Just to get an early start on things.

Anonymous said...

Boys just take longer to train. Usually around 2 1/2 or 3 yr and it will happen overnight, you'll be surprised, so take a break for awhile !

BruceandBarbara said...

Boys take longer than girls. I'm sure my sons will love that I'm sharing this on your blog but Mark was 2 and Chris had NO interest until he was 2 1/2. 2 is pretty early for a boy. I promise you they won't wait until 5!